"The soul of God is poured into the world through the thoughts of men." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day Twenty-Four

Barter Day. Bartering provides fun for all the family, bypasses the taxman, and is a useful skill to acquire in the event civilization should suddenly revert to the Stone Age.

Barter: When asked for the $4.08 for my grande soy chai, I offered a shoeshine to the cashier in exchange for the drink.
Result: A blank stare, followed by the repetition of the request, "$4.08 please."

Barter: When pulled over for speeding, I offered the officer three citizen's arrests in exchange for a free pass on the traffic violation.
Result: "Don't play around with me." and a verbal warning about my speed.

Barter: When passing a man on a bench reading a copy of The Denver Post, I offered an expired Pizza Hut coupon in exchange for all of the odd numbered pages in the paper.
Result: He kept reading.

No comments: