"The soul of God is poured into the world through the thoughts of men." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

elevators

I have an intense fear of riding alone in elevators. I can't even really explain it. Perhaps I take comfort in the fact that if, for any odd reason, the elevator got stuck for a long period of time, I'd have something to snack on to keep myself alive if necessary. Although it is highly unlikely that I'll ever have to resort to cannabilism as a means to stay alive, or that an elevator would be stuck long enough for that to become an option, I can't help feeling just the slightest bit safer when somebody else steps on the elevator with me.I have a bunch of weird phobias associated with riding elevators...

1. Fear of riding on an elevator with a pregnant woman:
She doesn't even have to be 9 months pregnant. I don't care how small her tummy is. If she looks even slightly pregnant, I wait for the next elevator or take the stairs. I like to avoid emergency situations whenever possible. The last one I was in involved a woman collapsing in a busy store. My mother turned around to say, "You know CPR, don't you?" loud enough for the whole store to hear. As everyone turns to stare at me with a look of relief on their faces as they think I can somehow help this woman, I can't remember the first thing I learned in class about CPR. Thankfully, some other guy knew what he was doing and I was spared.

2. Fear of riding on an elevator with too many people:
When placed in this situation, I do two things.1. I look to the plaque that is put in every elevator which states the weight limit for that particular elevator.2. I mentally calculate and add the weight of each person in the elevator.If I think we're even close to being too heavy, I get off the first chance I get to take the stairs.

3. Fear of getting my head chopped off in the door:
If any of you have seen the part of Final Destination 2 where the lady's head gets caught in the elevator door,the elevator keeps going up, and her head is removed from her body. Whether you've seen it or not, all I can say is that I don't want to end up like her.

And why does any of this matter? I'm planning to take the lift/elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower someday, and it's a long way up. Wish me luck.

No comments: