"The soul of God is poured into the world through the thoughts of men." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

freedom



Yesterday it hit me how free I am.


I'm not sold to anyone.
No one has a price tag on me.
No one can pay for me, call me theirs, and then re-sell me if I become stubborn or play my music too loud or if a better priced property comes along...


I'm not bought or sold.

I am free in Christ...

Free of spiritual chains, free of social or economical binds...even free to express myself in any shape or form.
Yesterday I had the freedom to enjoy whatever music I wanted, whether it was a really obnoxious song by Bloc Party (oh bloc party. love it.), or something as calming as Madeleine Peyroux.
Yesterday, I was able to fix chicken. Thats right. No dietary restrictions for me.

Last week, a small group of us went to a local pub. Amidst the conversation of religion, politics, and good beer...I was thankful to sit among men and women (unlike some cultures where you can't mix sexes...in addition to consume something like beer at the same table)...and discuss concepts that would leave other people imprisoned in other countries (if openly expressed). We had freedom to laugh and to truly enjoy the time we all had together.
In connection to this...I think freedom brings about choices. I have the FREEDOM to choose to ignore the waiter/waitress at this pub...or I can choose to show him/her Christs love through my actions and words and look the person in the eye (unlike some people in this fast-paced life in this fast-paced city).
I can either sit here, and feel a bit lazy, or I can get up and call my grandpa, see how he's doing, and ask him about his top five books (and I will) and let him know that I'm thinking of him.
This freedom to live and take action is something that God has given us...

Even this second.

I think sometimes we forget about this freedom...and when we do, sometimes we sit and feel sorry for ourselves.
Sometimes we think, "I don't have enough money...I don't have enough direction...I don't have a spouse...I don't have enough FREEDOM to do the things I really want to do (the list goes on.)

God places A LOT of freedom in our lives. Because of this, this opens the doors for action and choices.

Strangely enough though, right now I'm learning a lot about God's Sovereignty. I'm doing some reading/studying about it...and, if I'm honest this leaves me to be a bit confused. I'm pretty sure this is a good thing, because if something confuses me, I pretty much don't leave it alone. And, I trust God with all His Sovereignty...but I'm searching for a way to connect this thing called Sovereignty with the fact that He has given us a FREEDOM to live in Him and make choices...

I'm wondering....what does this Freedom really look like...

No comments: