"The soul of God is poured into the world through the thoughts of men." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, October 11, 2007

best beatles covers?



As a huge Beatles fan, I was really looking forward to the long-delayed musical Across the Universe (starring Evan Rachel Wood, left). Sadly, my excitements were bruised yesterday upon reading Owen Gleiberman's review; he calls it a ''goofy, pompous, annoyingly boomer-myopic'' mess. (Ouch.) But he does say that one of the better things about the film is Bono, who "has presence" and apparently at one point sings "I Am the Walrus" (coo coo caah choo).

This got me thinking about my favorite Beatles covers ever. Speaking of Bono, I totally dig U2's live version of ''Helter Skelter,'' from Rattle & Hum. Also awesome in my book: Aretha Franklin's "The Long and Winding Road," Billy Bragg's "She's Leaving Home," Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work It Out," and, my all-time favorite Beatles cover (drumroll please, Ringo!) -- the Breeders' version of "Happiness Is a Warm Gun."

Anyways....still LOVED it!

Your turn...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

forgive me if I sound crass, but across the universe was a pile of shit. nothing like taking a whole bunch of classic Beatles songs and ruining them with pompous, selfish attempts at art and expression and topping them with tired politics and high-school Final Cut Express class editing.